The Types of Information We Collect
We gather information from you in three ways:
1) Information Gathered by Voluntary Submission
You are not required to provide information about yourself when visiting CJN.org. However, to make use of certain features on our website, such as requesting subscriptions or e-newsletters, entering contests, sending letters to the editor, accessing interactive forums and submitting information for lifecycle events, visitors need to provide personal information as part of the process. We may ask, for example, for:
- Contact information, including, name, address, email address, phone number, facsimile number, and mobile number;
- User name, password, and password reminder questions and answers;
- Age and date of birth;
- Other demographic information, such as gender, job information, and postal code;
- Public information, including profile information, you provide CJN.org for the publication, such as your user name, comments, likes, interests, status, pictures and the address of your website;
- Communications preferences, such as which newsletters you would like to receive;
- Search queries;
- If you are ordering a subscription, we will ask for a credit card number and date of expiration.
- In limited circumstances, payment and identification verification information, such as a credit card number, social security number or comparable national identifiers, and driver’s license number where needed for payment, to complete a particular transaction, or to access a particular service (e.g. contests);
- Information posted in community discussion and other interactive online features;
- Correspondence you sent to us; and
- Information collected about you offline (including via facsimile, postal mail, or in person and CJN.org sponsored events or contest entrance forms).
The information you supply will help us satisfy your requests and allow us to offer more personalized features and make our site more useful to you. Supplying information is entirely voluntary. Please note that if you do not supply the information we request, you will not be able to access that service.
2) Information Automatically Gathered About All Visitors
CJN.org may collect other certain types of information about you automatically, including,
- Your browser type and operating system;
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- Websites you visited before and after visiting CJN.org;
- Web pages and advertisements you view and links you click on within CJN.org;
- Unique identifiers, including mobile device information numbers, that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law;
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons and other similar technologies;
- Information about your Interactions with audio and video content, such as the type of content listened to (including music applications like iTunes, Spotify and Last.fm) and content viewed, and about your interactions with email messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded;
- Standard server log information;
3) Information We Obtain From Other Sources
When permitted by applicable law, we may collect information about you from other sources, including through interactive applications (e.g. mobile devices, third party services, and embedded audio and video players), co-branded partners and websites (for example our Facebook page), and from commercially available sources (such as data aggregators and public databases). The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources:
- Name, postal address, and telephone number;
- Demographic data, such as age, gender, and income level;
- If you access third party services (e.g. Facebook, Google+ ,Twitter, or Yahoo) through a CJN.org service, your username and password for those services and other information available about you on those services, as described in our Social Networking Policy below;
- Your interests and purchase behavior;
- Publicly-observed data, such as activity on blogs, videos, and other online postings; and
- Other navigation data, such as websites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on.
The Way We Use Information We Collect
We generally use information we collect about you to:
- Fulfill your requests for products, services, and information, including to send you electronic newsletters, authorize a purchase, and complete a transaction that you have requested;
- Enable you to participate in features such as surveys, polls, sweepstakes and message boards;
- Provide you with special offers and promotional materials on behalf of CJN.org, companies within our corporate family, and third parties, in accordance with applicable law;
- Analyze the use of CJN.org by visitors to our website and use of our services to understand and improve our offerings and, in accordance with below to produce anonymous or aggregated data and statistics that might help third parties develop their own products and service offerings;
- Customize the content you see when you visit CJN.org;
- Develop and provide advertising tailored to your interests;
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
We present the information we automatically gather about all visitors to our advertisers, in order to help them understand our audience and confirm the value of advertising on our website. We provide the information to the advertisers in the form of aggregated statistics on traffic to various pages within our website.
Disclosure of Information
CJN.org may disclose your information collected about you as follows:
Authorized Third Party Service Providers
We share your contact information with third party vendors who help us with specialized services, including customer support, email and text message deployment, business analytics, marketing, suppression list management, and data processing. These third parties are allowed to use your contact information to help us provide our services and not for any other purpose. Also, authorized third party service providers may collect non-contact information about your visits to our services with cookies, web beacons and other similar technologies that may be used to deliver advertisements tailored to your interests.
Sweepstakes, Contests, or Promotions
When you choose to enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion, and in accordance with the terms and conditions of the promotions, your information may be disclosed to our sponsors and to third parties who help administer the promotion, including in connection with winner selection prize fulfillment and aggregated data analysis. Your information also may be disclosed as required by law, such as on a winners list. Further, by entering a promotion, you are agreeing to the official rules that govern that promotion, including allowing our sponsors to use your name, voice, and likeness in advertising and marketing associated with the promotion in accordance with applicable law. All terms applicable to the particular promotion will be made available to you at the time you enter the promotion.
CJN.org And Other Cleveland Jewish Publication Co.
CJN.org and other business units of Cleveland Jewish Publication Co. continue to expand their online presence in order to offer users rich and deep interactive experiences. Where permitted by law, we may share information we collect about you within any parent, subsidiary, or other affiliate of CJN.org and the Cleveland Jewish Publication Co., so that we can provide you with information about products and services that might interest you.
Although highly unlikely given our purpose and structure, we may share your information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of a CJN.org a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the event of bankruptcy.
We may disclose information about our users, including contact information, to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with other legal obligations, such as FCC requirements.
Protect CJN.org Services And Users
Please note that we may share information with advertisers as described above.
In addition, information collected about your interactions with audio and video content may be shared with third parties, including third party social networking services such as Facebook, and video measurement and subscription services such as Reuters or Nielsen.
Finally, we also may share aggregated or anonymized information with third parties to help us develop content and services we hope will interest you or to help these third parties develop their own product and service offerings, including targeted marketing, as described in our overview of third party online advertising.
Comments and User Generated Content
Social Networking Services
CJN.org has partnered with certain third party social networking companies to offer you their services through CJN.org. For example, you can use third party social networking services such as Facebook, Yahoo, Google+ or Twitter to share information about your experience on our Services with your friends and followers on those services. These social networking services may be able to collect information about you, including your activities on a CJN.org, and they also may notify your friends, both on CJN.org and on their services, that you are CJN.org user or about your use of the CJN.org services, in accordance with applicable law and their own privacy policies.
By using your CJN.org account with a third party social networking service, you consent to share information about you, including video content that you have watched on CJN.org, with your friends and followers on those services. You can limit how third party social networking services share your information by visiting your social networking services’ websites and updating your privacy settings.
In addition, CJN.org may request your permission to a) access and collect information available from your social networking account; and b) post information to your friends on your behalf. When you connect your social networking service with your CJN.org account, you authorize CJN.org to access certain information about you from your social networking service to provide content and services, including helping us tailor our communications to you and develop rich online content and services across the CJN.org. The information CJN.org may access from your social networking services is governed by the privacy policies and settings of those third party services.
Third Party Websites And Services
Residents of the State of California may request a list of all third parties to which CJN.org has disclosed certain information during the preceding year for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like such a list, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a California resident under 18 years of age, and a registered user of any website where this policy is posted, you may request removal of content or information you have publicly posted. Please be aware that such a request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you posted and there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow removal, even if requested.
For all requests, you must put the statement "Your California Privacy Rights" in the subject field of your request and include the name of the CJN.org webpage and/or service with respect to which you are requesting the information. You must also include your full name, street address, city, state, and zip code. We will not accept requests via telephone, postal mail, or facsimile, and we are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or that do not have complete information.
Transfer of Data Internationally
CJN.org is headquartered in the United States, but may, from time to time have affiliates and partners in other countries. Please be aware that information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of CJN.org may be collected in your country and subsequently transferred to the United States or another country in accordance with applicable law. The privacy and data protection laws in the country to which your information is transferred may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. By using and participating in any CJN.org service or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, international transfer, storage, and processing of your information.
Security of Information
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical procedures to help protect your information from loss misuse, unauthorized access, and alteration for the information we collect online.
Viewing and Correcting Your Information
If at any time you would like to (a) verify the accuracy of the information you have provided to us, or (b) correct that information, please contact us in writing at email@example.com. We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity prior to disclosing any personal information or making any of the requested changes to personal information.
If you prefer that we not share any of the information you have provided to us with third parties, you may "opt out" by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Cleveland Jewish News complies with the federal CAN-SPAM Act of 2003. Therefore if you opt out of receiving certain emails from us, we will not send you those emails. You can opt-out of receiving emails from us by following the “unsubscribe” instructions at the bottom of each email we send you.
We offer several types of emails, including our daily Boker Tov daily email, Liecycles and as-it-happens breaking news. If you no longer wish to remain on a particular email list, you can change your preferences at the bottom of each email.
If you have provided us with your email address, we may use it to survey you to collect feedback about your experiences with our products. This helps us improve our services to better serve you.
If you feel you have received an email from us in error, please contact email@example.com.
Guidelines for CHILDREN
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important to us. We comply with Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). Children must get permission from their parents before sending any information about themselves (such as name, email address and telephone number) over the Internet, to us or anyone else. We encourage parents to review and share safety concerns and tips with their children participating in online activity.
We do not specifically collect or maintain information from children. If we receive actual knowledge that a user of our website is under the age of 13 and has provided personal information to us we will immediately remove all such information from our database. In order to transmit certain information to our website (b'nai mitzvah, birth announcements, etc.), however, adults are asked to provide information about children (name, birth date, age). Although we will collect this information through our website about children, it will not be shared with partners or other third parties.